Parhelion - an Aion Legion guild forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming.

+5
Navitas
Akaara
Willis
Kiara
Annoura
9 posters

Go down

Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming. Empty Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming.

Post by Annoura Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 am

Let's see...
I read alot of books, some of my favourite fantasy authors include: Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Terry Goodkind, George R. R. Martin, Raymond Feist, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett... study

Firefly was one of my all time favourite shows, loved it. Fun story, I actually got to see the movie 'Serenity' about 3 months before release through a special promotional thing the studio was doing. As if that wasn't enough, we get into the theatre and Nathan Fillion is there! He watched the movie with us, and did some Q and A and signed autographs. Very fun time. (BTW, if you like Nathan Fillion, Castle is definately worth a watch!)

I'm a big football fan, love this time of year! Go Seahawks!

I do like anime, though I haven't found much lately that I have gotten into. A few of my favs include, cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, trigun, chobits, anything myiazaki makes, macross plus, ghost in the shell, ect...

So, what do you all enjoy doing other than games to pass the time? Anyone like the same things I do?
Annoura
Annoura

Back to top Go down

Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming. Empty Re: Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming.

Post by Kiara Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 am

Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth Saga was just Epic! ...tho the hardcovers collectively contain a good square mile of forest, or so XD
Kiara
Kiara

Back to top Go down

Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming. Empty Re: Things I geek out over...or, hobbies other than gaming.

Post by Willis Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:40 am

I like to ride my Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Low, whenever the weather is nice. During the winter I'm an avid snowboarder. R. A Salvatore and the entire Dark Elf sagas are among my favorite books. Although because I enjoy the movie so much, I have started reading Fight Club the novel. It has even more of that destructive nature that I LOVE.

As with Vellana, I barely watch anime anymore, although I do continue to watch my old favorites. Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

Looking in the next couple of weeks to get signed up for some drum lessonsss. Close friend of mine dabbles a bit in guitar, figure that would be alot of fun to jam together.
Willis
Willis

Back to top Go down

Post by Akaara Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:42 am

I do all sorts, when I can. Been kind of in a funk lately (a rut I guess would be a better word). Aion just picked me right out of it just in time!

Hobbies: golf, bowling, ice skating, reading (fantasy, mystery, ghost stories, manga, Janet Evanovich...), writing (mainly novels, but also poems, short stories and songs), martial arts (currently without a type because of logistical issues involving a Kendo sensei, heavy armor, a severe beating and respiratory distress...), rock band, playing bass guitar and piano (I suck at both...), watching movies, TV shows and anime. I love any movie with no plot and lots of explosions (now you're probably questioning my gender. YES, I am a girl. Deal with it!). Ooooh. I like softball. Almost forgot. And Stepmania, if any of you actually have played it.
Akaara
Akaara

http://aawhystine.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoura Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:43 am

Kiara wrote:Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth Saga was just Epic! ...tho the hardcovers collectively contain a good square mile of forest, or so XD

yeah, i like that goodkind has an amazing ability to write incredibly tense, meaningful scenes in his books. Many a time have I been riveted by his writing. I have a bit of a problem though. I collected this perticular series in paperback, and I have yet to read 'confessor' simply because I refuse to buy that funky paperback that they published! It's like an inch taller than every other paperback ever! It seriously messes with my OCD! Razz
Annoura
Annoura

Back to top Go down

Post by Akaara Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:50 am

Yeah, that would screw with me too. I went nuts when I was moving my brother in trying to organize his books first by publisher (like Dungeons and Dragons) then by author and series and title. I was going NUTS. Then I had my obsessive compulsive personality going spazola because most of the books weren't the same size. ARG!!!! Okay, crazy person flashback has officially ended. I'm shutting up now.
Akaara
Akaara

http://aawhystine.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiara Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:55 am

lol XD I'm hoping he continues the series, theres just so much more he has to work with Razz (Richard and Kahlans potential children, for example.)
Kiara
Kiara

Back to top Go down

Post by Navitas Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 am

I like lots of Anime:

Naruto (most people never heard of this one)
Prince of Tennis
Hajime No Ippo
Welcome to the NHK
Elfen Lied
Eureka 7
Beck
Trigun
Excel Saga
Azumangah Daioh

Well there are way more but I can't think of them. My favorite animes are ones that teach you (Hajime No Ippo - learning everything about boxing in a very fun way.. Prince of Tennis - learn a lot about tennis though it is quite exaggerated and some of the manuevers are a bit nuts). Welcome to the NHK starts out really dorky but then progresses into an almost depressing mood because of what the characters go through.

I need sleep now lol.
Navitas
Navitas

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucible Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:13 am

I've read the Sword of Truth books and I enjoyed 90% of it. To nitpick I'll say this. I got tired of Richard and/or Kahlan making absolutely stupid decisions based on nothing outside their own paranoia concerning each other. "Does he/she really love me?" Let me go do something dumb and find out. Don't get me wrong. I did enjoy the overall experience of reading the series but that one aspect just got on my last godforsaken nerve.

If you like sci-fi I recommend the Honour Harrington series. IMHO very well written sci-fi without being too heavy.

George R.R. Martin is good. Wish he'd write another f'n book though. Glen Cook and the Black Company books were great. Read them if you haven't. I also like The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher. They are formulaic but enjoyable. His other fantasy series called The Codex Alera is much better so far.
Crucible
Crucible

Back to top Go down

Post by Bent Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm currently reading Mercedes Lackey Valdemar series.

I also read Runlelord, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, and some D&D
Bent
Bent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariana Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm

I love to read also. This is the first time I've run into a group of people that read my type of book "fantasy". I've never watched anime, not sure about it. Don't have much intrest in checking it out. Perhaps I'm missing something, dunno.

The Confessor series disapointed me. I got halfway through the first book and had to put it down. There were just too many obvious, not sure what it's called sure theres a name though, convient changes in the story. The past changed according to what they wanted to accomplish at the time. If it's important to anyone, I don't mind glancing through and finding examples. Very Happy

Anne McCaffery's Dragon riders series are my favorites.

I'll read sci-fi on occasion but like it more in the movies. Firefly was excellent.
Ariana
Ariana

Back to top Go down

Post by Nibbles Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Without getting into too much detail, I enjoy anime (see Kiara's intro thread), reading - including Orson Scott Card, J R R Tolkien, J K Rowling, and L E Modesitt in the fantasy department along with non-fiction short stories written by cops - loved Firefly and the earlier seasons of Lost, and am currently watching Jericho.

Love board and card games when there are people to play them. Monopoly, cribbage, backgammon, spades, etc.. Sometimes I wish I still had a D&D group.

Asanga, I've been playing Dance Dance Revolution for six or seven years now, and discovered Step Mania somewhere in that time. I play both versions on heavy - it's great exercise! Some of my favorite songs are Rhythm & Police, Healing Vision (Angelic Mix), Exotic Ethnic, and Freckles. XD

I also love my Xbox 360. There is a handful of games I'm looking forward to playing, which is a good and bad thing. Halo 3:ODST, Assassin's Creed 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, along with The Beatles Rock Band (which is a blast) don't get along well with the bank account. If anyone is a Halo player, it might be fun to play Halo 3 or ODST on xbox live sometime!

Didn't I say I wasn't going to get into detail? Bah! Well, there you go.

Oh, one more thing, Bill Nye is my hero!
Nibbles
Nibbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum